cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Michael A Nachbaur" <m...@nachbaur.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon vs. AxKit
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:12:42 GMT
Jeremy, I'm by no means an AxKit expert, but I'll try to fill you in.  Let
me preface this with the fact that I have little Cocoon experience.  I tried
(relatively unsuccessfully) to get both C1 and C2 working properly on
several occasions.  I did get it working, but it seemd too rigid to work
with, and I found myself constantly fighting against the framework.  I have
spent the better part of a year in AxKit, and am only on the Cocoon mailing
list in order to keep tabs on both projects.

<rant type="biased">
Essentially, AxKit is Cocoon for mod_perl, but it goes quite a bit farther
than that.  Just as Java takes a strict approach to programming (in terms of
typing, OO, etc), Perl is more flexible in how you can use it.  So, built
around that idea, AxKit is a flexible alternative to Cocoon.

There are similar concepts between the two.  AxKit has the concept of
Provider (similar in concept to Generators), Languages (transformers),
Plugins, StyleChoosers and MediaChoosers.  By using either .htaccess or
simple httpd.conf configuration directives, you can construct a pipline to
render results.

It also has (just off the top of my head):
- Support for XSP
- A bunch of XSP taglibs, including Cocoon2-compliant session support
- Caching

AxKit's stylesheet selection methods, although I'm not familiar with C2's,
are really cool.  You can associate stylesheets with XML files, either by
just filename, or by: DocType, DTD, Root-element name, or request URI.
Also, you can group stylesheet associations together by either Media type
(screen, tv, etc) Style Name (e.g. default, printable, etc) or a combination
of both.
</rant>

-man
Michael A Nachbaur