cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to offer cocoon virtual hosting?
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:28:15 GMT
Larkin Cunningham wrote:

> My query relates to how one goes about offering Cocoon through virtual
> hosting. I have Cocoon 2.0 installed on one of our live web servers
> alongside Apache and Tomcat 4.0.1. I have Apache talking to Tomcat
> talking to Cocoon. I have mounted the installed cocoon webapp under
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon to a context for a single domain (say for
> now www.thedomain.com). I can now access
> www.thedomain.com/cocoon/welcome and I see the usual welcome page and I
> can look at various XML, XSP, FOP pages, etc.
>
> So far so good, but how do I go about offering this on a virtual basis?
> The documentation for cocoon is fine, but doesn't really address virtual
> hosting (at least I don't think it does). If its there then I wasn't
> able to understand it. This list and the archives tend to be geared
> towards single site web applications. And there are very few web hosting
> companies offering cocoon so there hasn't been much from that direction
> on this list.

Are you referring to multiple hosts like this:

http://www.thedomain.com/
http://foo.thedomain.com/
http://bar.thedomain.com/

or are you referring to getting rid of the /cocoon/ in front of the URL?

> I am using mod_jk (ajp 1.3) for getting apache to talk to
> tomcat/catalina. I have included "JkMount /cocoon/* ajp13" as part of
> httpd.conf. As part of server.xml under the Host entry for
> www.thedomain.com I have:
>         <Context path="/cocoon"
>         docBase="/opt/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/cocoon" debug="0"/>
>
> This is fine for getting the samples to work, but where do I go next for
> virtual hosting of customer web applications?  Can I change the docBase
> to a directory within the virtual site space and get XML processed by
> Cocoon by having the correct web.xml within WEB-INF?

When you say Virtual hosting, you are mixing what a webapp is for and
what a web server is for.

You follow your web server's instructions for virtual hosting, and then
place the directive for mapping requests to the webapp from there.

> Any help appreciated. Once I am fully happy with this I will get the
> site added to the cocoon hosting page.
>
> Regards,
>
> Larkin Cunningham

> .