cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject [C1] Installation woes [rant AND request] - PLEASE help!
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 06:25:17 GMT
You can skip the rant and read the request at the end...

<rant>

"I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him" Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene ii

So, at one time in my life, I was a Windows programmer [well, still am, really].  And life
was occasionally frustrating, but mostly colorful and satisfying.  And then came the Web.
 Wow!  New ideas, new paradigms, and new languages to learn... and boy, did they come thick
and fast in a stream of acronyms... HMTL, CSS, JS; followed by XML, JSP, XSLT.  I did my best
to absorb them all and see how and where they could be used to help those around [non techies,
mostly] me to make use (and sense!) of this 'information revolution'.

Looming over it all, of course, is the ongoing conflict between Sun [Java] and Microsoft [VB/ASP
et al].  Open source vs vendor.  Being in a poorish country, with limited resources, OS made
financial sense; and the paradigm and philosophy was one that appealed to my nature.  But
what to use?  I did not have the luxury of time to contribute (or, in most cases, even the
expertise) to a new area, and needed something that was useful and intuitive to use.  Then
I found Cocoon - at last, something that tied together everything I had been learning in a
meaningful way.   I installed it - it worked [pretty much - BUT see below] and I started designing,
developing and coding.  I scorned those others who were suggesting - dare I say it aloud -
M$ tools such as VBScript, ASP or even Oracle Web Developers XYZ; "don't be fooled, I said,
big companies do not have your interests at heart - OS is the way, the truth... well, anyway,
it's good and What We Should Be Doing".  That was then.  Now (for the last 4 weeks) I have
been desperately trying to get a UNIX box working to replicate what I have on my development
machine; while colleagues [techie and non techie] alike are watching with increasing scepticism
as they move on with Oracle, ASP and Access [choke] et al.   No one is actually smirking yet....
at least not to my face.  I have posted before - but the traffic seems thick with [c2] and
[docbook] queries... maybe I am the last person on the planet still trying to use 1.8?

Is it too late - maybe M$ will take me back - "look, son, here is an ASP primer and an Intro
to VB - its not hard... you don't really need that U**X... let me dim the lights for you...".

</rant>

<request>

Seriously, I really do need help trying to finalize my Cocoon installations.   I have 3 machines,
and each of which has a slightly different problem.  All are running Apache/Tomcat/Cocoon
1.8.2/mySQL.

Machine 1: Win2000 (development)
- dbPool does NOT work BUT embedding Database properties in <esql> tags does

Machine 2: UNIX (test)
- dpPool works BUT embedding Database properties in <esql> tags does NOT

Machine 3: UNIX (Deployment)
- neither dbPool or embedded properties works!

I am sure the problems lie with some configuration or file location SOMEWHERE, but have run
out things to try ... apart from pushing buttons at random.  If I cannot solve this very soon,
it will be back to M$ tools and that would not, I think, be good for my soul.

ARE THE DEVELOPERS STILL OUT THERE (do they care?)

</request>

Many thanks for listening
Derek

dhohls@csir.co.za