cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Crosbie <jer...@go2.com>
Subject RE: .NET vs. Cocoon
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:00:10 GMT
> On Friday 16 November 2001 01:48 pm, you wrote:
> > However another alternative has presented itself in the form of .NET
> which
> > has gained some momentum. As far as my knowledge goes with .NET I still
> > find Cocoon to be a superior solution to the problem than .NET. Has
> anyone
> > done any comparisons between the two platforms that they are willing to
> > share? Any information is greatly appreciated.
>
> What pieces of .NET will be comparable to Cocoon? It sounds like you are
> looking for a client device-indepent publishing solution? I've seen bits
> and
> pieces on the asp.net forms, but nothing specifically relating to wireless
> devices.

I have not done a whole lot of investigation into .NET but from what I
understand the Mobile Information Server add-on is their solution to the
mobile device problem. It looks to also be based on the web forms model.

> The main (and imho *huge*) advantage that Cocoon has is that it is open
> source software. You can customize it to meet your needs 100%, all the way
> down to the core which is not something that you will be able to do with
> .net.

I most certainly agree. I would also submit that maintenance of open source
projects vs. Microsoft is a big advantage. Not only because you have the
source but the community, at least ones that I have worked with, are quick
to fix problems.

> Although if you give some more details on what piece of .NET you are
> looking
> at it might help with better answers. Comparing Cocoon to .NET is like
> comparing the Java platform to a single win32 application.
> -pete

Well, like I said, the Mobile Information Server is probably the piece to
focus on. From the research I have done they extend the idea of Web Forms to
mobile web forms; and it only looks to work for WML enabled phones. Anyone
ever use this or try it out?