cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Kachanov" <a...@intadev.com>
Subject RE: I don't want UTF, I want native encoding
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 02:04:59 GMT
Ok let's consider this issue.

The Cocoon is designed to provide multiple document
formats from a single document. If default "and fixed"
encoding is Unicode then how would PDA and cell phones
be able to read those documents?

I don't know any cell phone in Japan that understands
Unicode, it's Shift_JIS and only Shift_JIS. Neither do WAP-phones.
Does any one know if Palm or iPaq supports Unicode?
I'm sure they do not. Any Braile browsers?
Any voice browsers? Text-browsers? None of them.

That's the point. However, there is no problem to
change the encoding in Cocoon (1 or 2) as I mentioned in
previous letter.

with best wishes
Alexander Kachanov

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay) [mailto:tom.klaasen@telerelay.com]
Sent: 19 ноября 2001 г. 22:29
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: I don't want UTF, I want native encoding

C2 is not "derived" from C1, it is a refactoring.
This means that almost no code is reused, because C2 is built again from
the design level onward.

As for "not needing Unicode": I thought Unicode was intended to solve
just this kind of problems (encoding problems, that is. Americans
forgetting there do live people outside America. Europeans forgetting
there do live people outside America ;) )

tomK