cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Schoenwald <oliver.schoenw...@FernUni-Hagen.de>
Subject Supporting servlet programmers with xml/xsl-stylesheets
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:34:59 GMT
Hello,

I'm experimenting with a simple idea: after creating our Website using
Cocoon 1.8.2
and defining a central stylesheet to realize a certain design/layout for
the site,
I wondered how to accomplish another objective: allowing servlet
programmers who would
implement servlets within the Tomcat servlet engine (3.2.3) to use the
Cocoon-Paradigm
(taking an xml-file on request and transforming it "on the fly" to
another media, e.g.
html, using a xsl-stylesheet). The servlet should do its normal
function, but instead
of writing html-output for its user interface, it will prepare some
xml-code which
would be transformed to html using the same stylesheet as is used by the
xml-documents
of the website.
Of course, this stylesheet would need to be enhanced by certain
design-elements that
might be necessary for the servlet-user interfaces (e.g. some form
elements that allow
interactions between the user and the servlet), but these wouldn't
effect the "normal"
xml-pages.

So far, I did some tests but have problems in understanding how a
servlet could send its
output (xml) to the Cocoon engine to be transformed to HTML by a defined
stylesheet.
Can I implement this idea using Cocoon 1 or would I need Cocoon 2? Are
there any examples
that might help me further? Are there alternatives?

Thank you in advance,

Oliver Schoenwald