cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Wallis" <R.J.Wal...@talis.com>
Subject Is Cocoon for me?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:48:18 GMT
This is a general question as to the suitability of Cocoon2  for an application I am investigating.

I have taken a look at the samples and it appears very impressive.  Unfortunately it is difficult
to see from those if it would be suitable for my requirements, or the best way to approach
proving it.

A bit of advice from someone who understands the philosophy behind Cocoon, would be appreciated
to help me on my way.

I have Struts based application front-ending a Java API call set, which enables it to talk
to a back-end server.  This produces an acceptable user interface.  What I want to be able
to do is, deliver several different html 'look & feel's from the same interface, without
having to get into code [jsp] editing.

My [newbie] thought is if I made a one-time change to my jsp's to output xml content, I could
then deliver it via Cocoon with a run-time switch, based on uri, as to which transformer it
was parsed by to deliver the version required.

Would it be possible to embed my Struts application as a Generator within Cocoon, or would
I be expected to re-write it in xsp, or a bit of both?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp
Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information
Ltd.
The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and
for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then
please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised
recipient is prohibited.