cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Newland" <chris.newl...@emorphia.com>
Subject RE: Memory Storage
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:16:01 GMT
Hi Henrik,

I'm currently investigating this too. My Cocoon2b2 is eating its way through
1GB of memory in about 3 hours under load testing conditions of about 10
hits/second for small pages that perform DB fetches.

This is with freememory set to 200MB.

I've made some debug changes to my copy of MRUMemoryStore and it seems that
each time then cleanup thread runs it only needs to shed 1 item from the
store before Runtime.freeMemory() is greater than the xconf setting (200MB).

I'm currently experimenting with maxobjects to see what effect a low value
has on performance.

Are you starting your JVM with the -Xms (initial heap limit) -Xmx (maximum
heap limit) switches.
When the heap reaches the -Xms value the heap limit will increase. This will
repeat until the heap limit reaches -Xmx. If the JVM can't free memory by
garbage collecting then you will get an OutOfMemory runtime exception :(

What version of Cocoon are you using? I've heard that the latest release
candidate C2RC1a has an improved cache management system so I'll have to
upgrade if I can't reduce the memory usage.

I'd be interested to hear about any memory tuning tips you discover.

Best Regards,

Chris