cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jörn Heid <h...@fh-heilbronn.de>
Subject AW: Performance (official cocoon site very slow)
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:13:39 GMT
On a Pentium II 200 MHz (running Linux) one page took up to one minute to be
rendered with C1 if this page was modified.
On the same machine with C2 it takes about one second without caching. Well,
I have had to modify the files but for my applications C2's performance is
impressive.

I don't think the official page is served by Cocoon.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jo Bourne [mailto:venus@va.com.au]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2001 09:04
An: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Betreff: Performance (official cocoon site very slow)

hi,

We have a number of sites running on cocoon 1.8.2 at the moment and we are
in the process of upgrading to cocoon2 primarily because cocoon 1.8.2 grinds
to a halt when we try to process any very large xml pages (and we have a
number of them). We believe this is a DOM issue and that cocoon2 being more
SAX based may not have the same issues...

anyway I have always found the official cocoon information site
excruciatingly slow and today actually timed the cocoon2 sitemap page taking
an average time of over 6 mintues to load. I would like to know if this site
runs on cocoon, if so which version, and what exactly you think is causing
this dreadful performance? are the server/s woefully under-specced for the
traffic or is the cocoon site also suffering from the same problems we
experience? (or is it something else entirely)

note: Our servers are all FreeBSD 4.3/tomcat 3.2/cocoon 1.8.2 running on P3s
and P4s (ranging between 600Mhz and 1.5Ghz) and 512Mg or more RAM each, the
problems we experience seem to be entirely CPU based, we don't come close to
using the available RAM on the servers in question, but cocoon requests
constantly send them to 100% CPU usage.....

thanks in advance
jo