cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Riedl Juergen <Juergen.Ri...@icn.siemens.de>
Subject AW: SV: Cocoon examples?
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:25:23 GMT
You don't. Tomcat does!

But if you like to know what it is inside the war, unzip it. Sometimes this requires to change
the name *.war -> *.zip

Juergen

> -----Urspr> üngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:	Søren Neigaard [SMTP:neigaard@mobilethink.dk]
> Gesendet am:	Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2001 19:18
> An:	cocoon-users@xml.apache.org; 'Søren_Neigaard'
> Betreff:	SV: SV: Cocoon examples?
>
> How do I unpack a WAR?

would still use XSP.  About 18 months ago I spent alot of time trying to work out the best
way of building multi-lingual, branded sites using a java architecture.  I thought XML/XSL
offered alot of options however did not extend the whole thing to logicsheets.  Once I saw
Cocoon and logicsheets I found that someone had written a full implementation of the stuff
I was mucking around with.

> 	XSP on it's own does not offer a load more over a JSP type approach however with logicsheets
you have alot of power.  You have the ability to embed logic in the logicsheet or mix and
match with bean calls to business logic, just like in JSP, but with a nice XML wrapping around
it.  I will be putting some more examples up on cTwIG in the next few days I hope btw.

> 	If you compare it with actual servlets then IMHO XSP/Logicsheets/XSL offers a far better
technology for publishing than raw servlets.  Servlets have their place, in non presentational
scenarios such as data exchange or some kind of SOAP environment for example, but I really
do think that the Cocoon approach is the best publishing platform I have seen.

> 	In my experience - 99% of the time whatever you munge around with business logic needs
to be displayed.  No matter how far you go with a "MVC" tiered approach, the results of logic
have to be stuck into presenation code.  Servlets will not make that easier - well designed
XML/XSP/Logicsheets/XSL does.

> 	Stepping off his soapbox...
>
> 	Jez
>
> 	Søren_Neigaard <neigaard@mobilethink.dk> wrote:
>
> 		Great intro, thanks :) I'm still confused at one point though (well more than one,
but here the most). I have some businessobjects I want to retrive data from (maybe as XML),
and use this data as input for Cocoon. How is this done? I absolutly don't want to use XSP
(I don't like the mix of content and logic). Should I set the "<map:generate src=""/>"
src to point at a servlet that returns XML? This sounds like a bad idea too me though, but
it's my best idea.

IE <http://mail.yahoo.ie/>.

IE <http://mail.yahoo.ie/>.