cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Phil Blake <p...@tcp.net.au>
Subject Re: Fastest Platform (softwarewise)?
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:25:07 GMT
Hi,

We run apache/tomcat/cocoon on 3 server platforms, Linux, AIX and MacOS
X.

Linux on a dual PIII 550, OSX on a PPC-G4 450 and AIX on a 4x250MHz
PPC-G3.

Bang for buck, a G4 running OSX wins hands down. However, believe it or
not, the dual PIII comes in second (AIX don't come close... too
expensive for real consideration and Windows is not a server operating
system in practice, only in marketing).

The Dual PIII was about 10% more than the G4 (after adding SCSI) and
about 70-80% the performance.

Although theory has it that a G4 500MHz has about the same performance
as a PIII 1.5GHz (ie triple the performance), I've found that it's
really more like double the performance, not triple.

Phil