cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Strange C2 behaviour with Navigator 4.7
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:00:43 GMT
Alexander Schatten wrote:

> I tried to use C2 for publishing XML through XSLT
>
> basically this works when connecting with IE5 or Opera 5, but not with
> Netscape 4.7
>
> the behaviour is very strange: Netscape displays nothing (white page),
> but when I go to "show source" it displays the html code correctly.
> again more strage: when I try: "Save as..." and save this html page,
> netscape does not render to disc, then load it with the same netscape
> browser window, it is displayed correctly???

Try serializing it as the mime-type "text/html".  This allows Netscape
to treat it like HTML--even if it is XML.  Netscape does not natively
handle XML, so it does not even try.  When you reload the page from
the filesystem, the OS is telling netscape that all .html files are
using the mime-type "text/html".

While netscape does have many faults, it is one of the few browsers that
properly respect the mime-type headers that are set by the server.  IE
does not, causing many issues with PDF files.