cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: C2 delivering DocBook XML?
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:52:00 GMT
Matthias,

I am a Cocoon neophyte, so what I am about to say is
probably done better in other ways.  However, this got
me started, and once I understand the sitemap
functionality better, I'll revamp the entries to
streamline the process.

Server Environment;
Windows/2000 service pack 2
IIS 5
Tomcat 4.0
Cocoon 2 rc1

Editing environment:
NT Emacs 20.7.1
XAE 1.0beta6

I created a small book.xsl in emacs using the XAE
mode.  I then did the following (your paths may
differ).

a) Copied the site/xae-1.0beta6/docbook/styles/docbook
over to tomcat/webapps/cocoon

b) Modified the
cocoon/WEB-INF/classes/CatalogManager.properties to
contain:

# catalogs ... list of additional catalogs to load
# use full pathnames
# pathname separator is always semi-colon (;)
# directory separator is always slash (/) regardless
#
catalogs="/Program
Files/emacs-20.7/site/xae-1.0beta6/doctypes/docbook/docbookx.dtd"

c) Added the following quick hack in sitemap.xmap

<map:match pattern="ctwig/book.html">
<map:generate type="file" src="ctwig/book.xml"/>
<map:transform src="docbook/html/docbook.xsl"/>
<map:serialize/>
</map:match>

(sorry for any wrapping issues).

I then restarted IIS and the Tomcat service.  This
allows me to generate html files from DocBook sources.

Unfortunately, the fo translation seems to be broken.
I was trying the following for PDF files:

<map:match pattern="ctwig/book.pdf">
<map:generate type="file" src="ctwig/book.xml"/>
<map:transform src="docbook/fo/docbook.xsl"/>
<map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
</map:match>

I get from Acrobat Reader 5.0 that the file is damaged
and could not be repaired.  The example PDF documents
supplied with Cocoon 2 work fine.  I suspect a problem
in the docbook/fo/docbook.xsl files.  I will probably
downloard the latest DocBook XSL and try again.

The transformation is very slow.  It's hard to give a
good feel for this however, since I'm doing this on a
laptop running ColdFusion, MySQL, SQL 2000, and Oracle
8.1.6 in addition to Tomcat and Cocoon.

It's a portable development environment, which means I
can write just about anything with it, but don't ask
it to do much with the results.

I hope this helps - /mde/

Disclaimer:  The above opinions are my responsibility.

http://personals.yahoo.com