cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: C2 best practices for performance
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:22:38 GMT
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:25:01 +0200, Michael Homeijer wrote:
From: Michael Homeijer <M.Homeijer@devote.nl>
--

> Hi,
>
> We have a dynamic C1 site that has to be rebuilt because of C1 scalability
> and performance. The site is very dynamic and includes personalization and
> localization.
>
> The approach we will be choosing is the following:
> - We will split all pages in elements that have different caching
> strategies.

Yes, that's the way I do it. All my public URIs are aggregations of components,
and in most cases, only the 'content' component has a short regeneration cycle.
All the others live for very long periods (1 day).

> - For each element (general elements such as menu, but also page specific
> content), there will be an internal pipeline with XSP for the content and
> XSL to determine the layout of the element.

I have three big pipelines. One private (internal) pipeline matches all page
elements: menus, ad-bar, header, footer, context-menu. A second, public
pipeline, answers all reader-based requests - this amounts to images, sounds,
etc. The third pipeline defines public URLs, by aggregating content, and having
it laid out by a layout XSLT.

> - We plan to use aggregation on the sitemap level where all elements on the
> page will also be placed in the right position with a general XSL for the
> page.
> - Each page will have some standard actions for authorisation and
> personalisation.

You can define this once for a whole pipeline by nesting matchers:
<map:match pattern="**">
 <map:act type="foo">
  <map:match pattern="some_uri1">
  </map:match>
  <map:match pattern="some_uri2">

> Is this the way to built a site using C2 that will be performing well or are
> there other ways?

My site has been built like this, and C2 is behaving very well in a heavy load
environment.

> Is using namespaces in the aggregation something that will
> effect performance in any way?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think so.

> TIA,
> Michael Homeijer

Sergio Carvalho
sergio.carvalho@acm.org