cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroum...@flagship.ru>
Subject Re: Cocoon - Is it enough
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 12:51:39 GMT
Hi!

>    Hi
>
>          Has cocoon proven successful front end architechture for major
B2B
> or System Application  . I am in the process of creating a modular
framework
> for a front end that shall involve different services .  The goal would be
> to add and manage services as they come live ..Users may have different
> services and levels of usage of these services are  based on roles and
> permissions . The proposed model is a tree view of services(left hand )
> detailed view of services or componets on the right side .

We've developed something like that (a Workflow interface), but it was based
on Cocoon 1. I believe that everything that is possible in C1 also can be
done in C2. My personal opinion is that although C2 is concidered to be
better than C1 (for perfomance, architectural reasons), but in some cases C1
self-contained files (with <?cocoon-process...> instructions) can also be
useful.

>          Will cocoon answer all my needs to intergrate with EJbs /
JavaBeans
> revert back to JSP /and usage of Javascript. I am particular inpressed
with
> the sitemap feature and intrigue by the different ways we could use that .
> Please share your experiences and thoughts and ideas  based on your
> experience with Cocoon .

Yes, Cocoon (1 or 2) can be integrated with EJBs (I've done this with
WebLogic 5.1, 6.0 servers). I don't quite understand how is JavaScript
related to this? You can use in Cocoon everything that you can use in a
servlet: JavaBeans, generate JavaScript. Sitemap provides only a convenient
way of defining your processing pipelines and can be concidered as a
controller (in MVC design pattern).

Btw, you can use also JSP instead of XSP with Cocoon. There are two ways of
using JSP: generate XML with JSP (see JSPGenerator) or use direct output
from a JSP page (see JSPReader).

I think that will Cocoon answer all your needs or not depends on your
application. I'm not satisfied by some features of C2 (particularly, actions
mechanism and form handling). I am evaluating Apache Struts for using in our
application, which has a lot of complicated forms with different layouts,
etc.

> Thanks
> Lakshmi

Best regards,