cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Geissel" <ageis...@zenark.com>
Subject [C2.0b2] - ComponentManager
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 14:42:18 GMT
Hi,

We looking at migrating our application from C1.8.2 over to C2.

In C1.x, we used Turbine for connection pooling, and we need to move over to
the Avalon CoponentManager framework.

There was one real advantage in using Turbine, where there is a
singleton-access to the connection-pool, thereby allowing it to be easily
integrated with external code. Basically, we have a tried-and-tested
database access library that takes utilises an internal ConnectionFactory
that calls into Turbine for its connections.

I have not found a similar factory method for accessing either the Cocoon
object, its ComponentManager, or any managed components. Have I missed
something, or is there a preferred approach? A non-singleton access to the
connection pool will require a potentially reasonable coding change.

Also, having a little difficulty in configuring a pooled connection to
PostgreSQL - I've followed the instructions in the 'datasources' document,
but the ComponentManager complains that the named component cannot be found.
I've included the relevant bits from both cocoon.xconf, the calling code
(from within an Action) and log-file extract.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks
Adrian

========== cocoon.xconf extract ==============
  <markup-languages>
    <!-- Removed for clarity -->
  </markup-languages>

<!--
  <datasources>
  -->
  <component
name="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.DataSourceComponentSelector"
           class="org.apache.cocoon.CocoonComponentSelector">
    <!-- Data source details for the ZDAM database -->
    <component-instance name="zdam"
class="org.apache.avalon.util.datasource.JdbcDataSource">
      <pool-controller min="2" max="10"/>
      <auto-commit>false</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:postgresql://193.120.120.11/zdam_test</dburl>
      <user>sql</user>
      <password>garfield</password>
    </component-instance>
  </component>

<!--
  </datasources>
  -->

========== cocoon.xconf extract ==============

========== calling code extract ==============

        ComponentSelector selector = (ComponentSelector)
manager.lookup(org.apache.cocoon.Roles.DB_CONNECTION);
        ConnectionFactory.dataSource = (DataSourceComponent)
selector.select("zdam");

========== calling code extract ==============

========== log-file extract ==============
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: UnnamedSelector:
ComponentSelector could not find the component for hint: zdam
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.select(Exca
liburComponentSelector.java:239)
 at
com.zenark.zdam.cocoon.action.DoUserLoginAction.compose(DoUserLoginAction.ja
va:102)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(De
faultComponentFactory.java:98)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(
ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:81)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.addComponen
t(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:383)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.AbstractSitemap.load_component(AbstractSitemap.jav
a:231)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap$Configurer.configActions(sitemap_xmap.jav
a:929)
 at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.configure(sitemap_xmap.java:276)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(De
faultComponentFactory.java:108)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(
ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:81)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.GeneratorSelector.addGenerat
or(GeneratorSelector.java:118)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.addComp
iledComponent(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:292)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.generat
eResource(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:273)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(Pr
ogramGeneratorImpl.java:179)
 at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.run(Handler.java:204)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)