cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Liam Morley" <lmor...@WPI.EDU>
Subject RE: SV: Cocoon examples?
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:31:35 GMT
First of all, you shouldn't need to, under normal circumstances; your
servlet container does it. However, if you want to see inside a WAR
without the servlet container doing it for you, it follows the same
protocol as a ZIP file. So, from windows, just rename it to .zip, and
unzip it.

Liam Morley

-----Original Message-----
From: Søren Neigaard [mailto:neigaard@mobilethink.dk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 1:18 PM
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org; 'Søren_Neigaard'
Subject: SV: SV: Cocoon examples?

How do I unpack a WAR?
-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Jeremy Aston [mailto:jeremyaston@yahoo.co.uk]
Sendt: 8. oktober 2001 07:42
Til: Søren_Neigaard; cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Emne: Re: SV: Cocoon examples?
Hi Soren,
Thanks for the comments.
I'm not sure that the map command you suggest would work however even it
does then I would still use XSP.  About 18 months ago I spent alot of
time trying to work out the best way of building multi-lingual, branded
sites using a java architecture.  I thought XML/XSL offered alot of
options however did not extend the whole thing to logicsheets.  Once I
saw Cocoon and logicsheets I found that someone had written a full
implementation of the stuff I was mucking around with.
XSP on it's own does not offer a load more over a JSP type approach
however with logicsheets you have alot of power.  You have the ability
to embed logic in the logicsheet or mix and match with bean calls to
business logic, just like in JSP, but with a nice XML wrapping around
it.  I will be putting some more examples up on cTwIG in the next few
days I hope btw.
If you compare it with actual servlets then IMHO XSP/Logicsheets/XSL
offers a far better technology for publishing than raw servlets.
Servlets have their place, in non presentational scenarios such as data
exchange or some kind of SOAP environment for example, but I really do
think that the Cocoon approach is the best publishing platform I have
seen.
In my experience - 99% of the time whatever you munge around with
business logic needs to be displayed.  No matter how far you go with a
"MVC" tiered approach, the results of logic have to be stuck into
presenation code.  Servlets will not make that easier - well designed
XML/XSP/Logicsheets/XSL does.
Stepping off his soapbox...
Jez
Søren_Neigaard <neigaard@mobilethink.dk> wrote:
Great intro, thanks :) I'm still confused at one point though (well more
than one, but here the most). I have some businessobjects I want to
retrive data from (maybe as XML), and use this data as input for Cocoon.
How is this done? I absolutly don't want to use XSP (I don't like the
mix of content and logic). Should I set the "<map:generate src=""/>" src
to point at a servlet that returns XML? This sounds like a bad idea too
me though, but it's my best idea.

Any ideas?