cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.20 + Tomcat 4.0 + Cocoon2
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:34:48 GMT
At 5:03 PM +0000 27/9/01, Chris Newland wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have cocoon2 running perfectly under tomcat 4.0b6 but I'd like to strap
>Apache 1.3.20 on the front to get rid of "cocoon" from the URL.
>
>I've read the FAQ about mod_jk but I'm a little confused about whether this
>works with Tomcat 4.0 (catalina). I've read about another connector called
>WARP which appears to do the same thing.
>
>Does anyone here have experience in configuring Apache httpd with Tomcat 4.0?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated,

I have recently been playing with this.

I have got it working basically, ie. one url for each TomCat context.

eg. my apache conf file (automatically loaded by the main .conf file):

LoadModule webapp_module libexec/httpd/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c

	ServerName localhost
	WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
	WebAppDeploy /cocoon warpConnection /cocoon
	WebAppDeploy /tomcat-docs warpConnection /tomcat-docs
	WebAppDeploy /xml warpConnection /xml

This does actually work (Jeez, why did it take so long to get working ;)
mine says 'localhost' because it is running on a test server @ home with no
IP address, though obviously it does not work particularly well for a real
server ;)

BTW. Don't know how to get the ROOT context working, without taking out
Apache's own abilities to serve static files.

Next, I wanted to have several sub-apps within the 'xml' Cocoon2 context,
each handled by it's own sub-sitemap, and have Apache host them on their
own unique address, so I tried adding this to the .conf file

	RewriteEngine On
	RewriteLogLevel 9
	RewriteLog "/Volumes/Tardis/Library/TomCat/logs/rewrite.log"

	RewriteRule /hrc/(.*) /xml/hrc/$1 [PT]
	RewriteRule /kiss/(.*) /xml/kiss/$1 [PT]

This is where everything falls apart, because this internal redirect does
not work, argh!

The 'rewrite.log' says that the correct mapping has taken place, but Apache
just gives me a 404 regardless.

ie. the rewrite log says it has redirected to _exactly_ the same URL that
works fine when used in the browser. Weird man!!

Hope this helps

Please let me know if you get mod_rewite working with the warp connector!

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>             <pager:jermq@vizzavi.net>