cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Reynolds <li...@va.com.au>
Subject Re: MacRoman text encoding and C2
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:37:02 GMT
Thanks Fulvio

Looks like the JDK's native2ascii is what I want, only i'd need to
make my own Generator out of it or something in order to perform the
translation live, yeah?

And that scares me!

Do you think a Generator is the right way to go here? (That basically
does the same as the xml file generator, or the serverpages
generator, but performs the translation to utf-8 beforehand)

Cheers

Jesse

At 3:01 PM +0200 28/8/01, Fulvio Picecchi wrote:
>Sorry Jesse, I didn't know that C1 supports platform dependent
>charset encodings ...
>Anyway, if you'll ever need to do this conversion maybe this tools
>can help you:
>- Francois Pinard has written "recode" for Linux/Unix:
>http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/recode/
>- But I think you already have what you need. Look inside the bin/
>directory in your JDK, you'll find a tool called native2ascii that
>you can use this way:
>native2ascii -encoding MacRoman example.xml example.jtx
>native2ascii -reverse -encoding UTF-8 example.jtx example.xml
>The supported encodings:
>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html
>And a little help for this tool:
>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3.0/docs/tooldocs/win32/native2ascii.html
>
>Hope this can help you. Sincerely.
>--
>Fulvio Picecchi
>

>Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>>Thanks Fulvio for your kind thoughts.
>>
>>I'm fully aware that it would be much better if our database could
>>send out UTF-8, but that's alot of work that I'd rather not do.
>>Cocoon1 has been doing a perfect job of understanding MacRoman to
>>date, it would seem a great pity to have lost this functionality.
>>
>>There must be a way of doing it in a pipeline somehow. Hopefully
>>someone has already written the code.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Jesse

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au