cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Reynolds <li...@va.com.au>
Subject Re: MacRoman text encoding and C2
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:57:25 GMT
Thanks Fulvio for your kind thoughts.

I'm fully aware that it would be much better if our database could
send out UTF-8, but that's alot of work that I'd rather not do.
Cocoon1 has been doing a perfect job of understanding MacRoman to
date, it would seem a great pity to have lost this functionality.

There must be a way of doing it in a pipeline somehow. Hopefully
someone has already written the code.

Cheers

Jesse

At 12:12 PM +0200 28/8/01, Fulvio Picecchi wrote:
>Don't really know if Cocoon2 supports MacRoman, but when composing
>XML docs it would be always better to _not_ use a platform-dependent
>encoding like MacRoman (Mac) or Cp1252 (Windows).
>
>If you try writing something like this in MacRoman <<Je l'ai cherché
>de tous bords, tous côtés>> a PC user would see <<Je lÕai cherchZ
>de tous bords, tous ctZs>>.
>
>In general the best way would be using UTF8 (if you have a text
>editor that supports it), the same encoding of this e-mail message,
>that contains the characters of all languages of the world or a
>Latin dialect which are ISO standards: Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1), etc.
>Sincerely.
>
>--
>Fulvio Picecchi
>

>Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>>Hello
>>
>>I've been using the following xml declaration in Cocoon 1 with
>>excellent results:
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="MacRoman"?>
>>
>>(becuase our live XML data is coming from a database on a Mac and
>>there are some non-ascii characters we're sending out that need to
>>be recognised appropriately by cocoon)
>>
>>Anyway, Cocoon 2 doesn't seem to like this at all... I get the
>>following error:
>>
>>org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute
>>pipeline.:java.lang.RuntimeException: Problem in getTransformer:The
>>encoding "MacRoman" is not supported.
>>

>>So, is the MacRoman text encoding just completely not supported by
>>Cocoon 2? or is there something I can do to make this work?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>-jesse
>>

>--
>Fulvio Picecchi