cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Karl Oie <k...@gan.no>
Subject RE: Problems with Cocoon 2 with Tomcat 3.2.3-1 on Debian
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:21:51 GMT
goto http://www.xfree86.org and get the xvfb package, i had the same
problem, so i included this in the tomcat.sh after i installed Xvfb:

if [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
    # kill off any framebuffer running, kill kill kill :-)
    kill -TERM `/sbin/pidof Xvfb`
elif [ "$1"="start" -o "$1"="run" ] ; then
    # start up a virtual framebuffer for cocoon2's rendering
    Xvfb :1 -screen 0 320x240x24 &
fi

this setsup a virtual framebuffer for x to run in, now all the batik and svg
stuff works without running a real x server.

mvh karl oie

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnaud Vandyck [mailto:arnaud@ressource-toi.org]
Sent: 23. august 2001 18:24
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org; jan.warnstam@euronetics.se
Subject: Re: Problems with Cocoon 2 with Tomcat 3.2.3-1 on Debian

From: Jan Warnstam <jan.warnstam@euronetics.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:42:53 +0200

> First, I suspect that, since I  am running both Cocoon and Tomcat on
> a remote  server (which I  access via SSH)  the Tomcat engine  has a
> problem with opening an X connection when AWT is invoked by Cocoon 2
> (is it? it's a guess). I  tried to patch this by setting the DISPLAY
> environment variable to localhost:47 in the /etc/init.d/tomcat shell
> script  but  that  did not  make  it  work,  though it  changed  the
> behaviour since Tomcat stopped crashing  and we got an error message
> in  the browser  instead.  Check  the log  snapshot  from cocoon.log
> below:

I'm  waiting  for  a better  solution  but  I  commented all  the  svg
references in  the sitemap... but there  was a discussion  a week ago,
maybe you'll find an alternative in the archive.

> Now, also  it seems  that our Cocoon  2 is having  problems reaching
> JdbcConnection, look below:

I  cannot  do   that  to  (but  on  MacOSX   hsqldb  works  fine  with
cocoon2!). So I did create a postgresql db to use with cocoon2 and put
the jar file  for postgres in WEB-INF/lib and modify  the entry in the
cocoon.xconf. You can find the table here:

http://vbstefi30.fapse.ulg.ac.be/help/cocoon_employee.sql

[of course it's free! GPL, ASL, copyleft and what ever you want;))]

> Also, there is a complaint that the sitemap handler's sitemap is not
> available. This is also the error being printed on the error message
> page  being   displayed  in   the  browser  as   I  try   to  access
> :8081/cocoon/. Check the third and last log snapshot below:

Well, I think it's because of the svg problem.

Hope it helps,

--Arnaud