cocoon-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Karl Øie <k...@gan.no>
Subject RE: separation of content and logic
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:07:17 GMT
I agree to your point that jsp/java is not a standard like XSLT, but my
point here is that the jsp page comes at the end of the pipeline so it must
be regarded as a "serializer" of the strange kind.

but since my pipeline (xml->xsl->jsp) is pure up to the end point it is easy
to re-use the xml-xsl-somethingdifferent pipeline and not be dependent on a
specialized xsp as the generator. as jsp at the end of the pipe takes care
of all treeview specific code the rest of the toc pipeline is pure and can
be used to create other forms of toc's

btw: I'll try the "id(xxx)" tip you gave me, perhaps it can speed up things
a lot! :-)


mvh karl


-----Original Message-----
From: Jörn Heid [mailto:heid@fh-heilbronn.de]
Sent: 23. august 2001 15:02
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org; karl@gan.no
Subject: AW: separation of content and logic


It really looks nice but I wouldn't use a jsp for rendering. I think using
XSLT is the 'standard' for rendering in different output formats. JSP is
only a Sun/Java standard not a W3C standard. You can use XSLT without Java -
JSP not. But that's believing.

Is XSP->XSLT->HTML that much slower?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Karl Oie [mailto:karl@gan.no]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. August 2001 14:44
An: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org; max.larsson@gmservice.de
Betreff: RE: separation of content and logic


I did manage to create a working treeview by creating the structure with a
xsl-sheet and then use the result in a xsp page, but after a little
experimentation I found it was easier to use a jsp page that requested the
"toc.html" stream from the pipeline.

	<map:match pattern="toc.html">
		<map:generate src="sources/oversikten.xml"/>
		<map:transform src="toc.xsl"/>
		<map:serialize type="xml"/>
	</map:match>

jsp performed a little better that xsp when it came to code the required
functionality for the treeview, the result was quite good and the jsp page
that reads the structure from the c2 pipeline takes only 0.028s to process
(depending of levels of recursion of course). See enclosed screenshot!

mvh karl



-----Original Message-----
From: Max Larsson [mailto:max.larsson@gmservice.de]
Sent: 23. august 2001 08:00
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: AW: separation of content and logic


Hi,

> Now I want to generate a Menuestructure from database
> entries in the way a filebrowser works, expand an entry on mouseclick,
> on the second mouseclick collapse them (html links).
> My first guess was to use nested select statements
> to only get those entries I want to show (expanded or collapsed).

I am trying to do the same. At the moment i am trying to use
the nested set model from "SQL for smarties". See:

http://www.dbmsmag.com/9603d06.html
http://www.dbmsmag.com/9604d06.html
http://www.dbmsmag.com/9605d06.html

> As I thought further may be it would be better in the xsp
> to always retrieve all items from the database
> and then decide in the stylesheet which entries to
> show and which not (e.g. by session attributes).
> But in a xsl I cann't use <xsp:logic>

After thinking a lot i decided to let xsp retrieve
the complete menu structure and let the xsl stylesheet
decide which menu items are collapsed or expandended.
To that i will give the xsl stylesheet a parameter,
which contains all the ids of the menuitems, wich shall
be expanded. That's my idea, if it works have to
be proved.

Max

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check that your question has not already been answered in the
FAQ before posting. <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html>

To unsubscribe, e-mail: <cocoon-users-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <cocoon-users-help@xml.apache.org>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check that your question has not already been answered in the
FAQ before posting. <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html>

To unsubscribe, e-mail: <cocoon-users-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <cocoon-users-help@xml.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message