cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Loy <david....@ucop.edu>
Subject Re: numeric entities
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:26:13 GMT
I'm currently using cocoon 1.8 running on tomcat 3.2.1.

The UTF-8 characters were imbedded in the source XML. I have replaced them
with the numeric entity. Both give the same result - the named (character)
entity appears in the generated HTML. As I understand the process, the HTML
is generated as a final step and all non-displayable characters are
converted to one form of entity or another in the HTML.

There may be a way to convert the special characters in the XML to an
escaped  form that can be passed without conversion all the way through. I
would like to avoid that if possible. I'm hoping there is some attribute of
xsl:output or  a cocooon option that would allow the characters to be kept
in the original form (UTF-8 or numeric entity) but only the output
representation to HTML would be affected. I have a feeling there's
something very obvious that I'm missing.
Thanks
David