cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SV: Repost of JDBC ODBC problem
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:01:42 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> To give an overall example of what I mean, I have a program called DataXfer
> that manipulates data and moves it between the filesystem and the database
> or between databases.  When I was using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, the transfer
> took over an hour.  When I switched to the Informix JDBC driver, the transfer
> took less than 5 minutes.  The ODBC driver has much more latency, and the
> overhead of the JDBC-ODBC driver adds that much more to the query.

Oh, I thought it was only fair to mention that the ODBC version went to Access
which is a poor performer anyway.  The combination of the ODBC Layer and the
slower database caused such a large difference in performance times.

ODBC access with Informix is still slower--adding a couple minutes to the Informix
transfer time.

When the application was refactored to take advantage of PreparedStatements,
the transfer was done in half the time.