cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: AW: [C2] Redirects
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:21:44 GMT
Marcus Crafter wrote:

[...]

Ok, thanks a lot for your info. I now understand it is possible, but
extremely complicated and verbose to do redirects in Cocoon2 :-)

>         I've found that over time, my sitemap testing has moved from focusing
>         on technical nitty gritty to focusing on concepts. Its a subtle
>         difference, but it makes conditional checking for your examples below
>         a little easier.

I'm all for thinking in concepts, but here comes my old gripe again: the
Sitemap is a proprietary format, I don't want to put concepts into
proprietary structures. Concepts are things that need to be communicated
to other departments, to other companies, to end users - you want a
generic XML structure for that, not a Cocoon-specific thing.

>         Now, be aware there is a trade off here, sending a redirect from
>         within an action will mean you'll have control flow code outside of
>         the sitemap.

IMHO control flow does not belong in the Sitemap at all, because it is a
proprietary structure. It's ok to use proprietary structures as
implementations of generic interfaces - but it's not good to tie
developers to a specific, proprietary implementation of a generic
concept.

> > Doing a 'grep -r sendRedirect * | wc -l' on the above app I get 104.
> > Does this mean I have to write 104 actions? Or is it possible to write a
> > generic redirect action
>
>         If they are all totally different sendRedirect tests, used only once
>         in individual xsp pages, you may need to write a comprehensive set of
>         actions. But I expect in reality it will be a lot less than 104.
>         (without seeing your application. :-) )

Perhaps 80 or so. I think in its current state Cocoon2 ties me up too
much, I want more freedom :-)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring