cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Financial Business Model: Was Stable Software Needed
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:27:12 GMT
On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:20:33 -0700 (PDT), Steven Punte <stevep193@excite.com> wrote:
--
> I wish some financial business model could be integrated into this
> type of open-source project.  Say maybe free for all development
> work and $1000/cpu for production use.  Any commercial company
> would not heisted to pony up $1K for a bit more stability and
> support.

I wish not. Financial business models are the primary reason for bad software.
Good software takes time, time costs money. Good financial business models
reduce production costs. Software quality is then the 'invisible' feature that
can be cut out for financial efficiency.

This is obvious flame-bait, and I am acting like a flame-fish. But I can't pass
on the oportunity of saying this one more time:
 Open Source Software Is Not About Money
Free software, as a phenomena (it's not a movement, it is not organized) is as
durable as modern civilization. It doesn't need venture capital, it doesn't
need gov support, and it surely doesn't need to sell. It needs to be interesting
to a large enough group of people, and scratch a large enough group of itches.

--
Sergio Carvalho