cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Sorting search results in Cocoon
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:48:13 GMT

The most efficient way would be to limit the XML source - having the search engine do the
sorting and limiting for yourself. That being impossible, you can do it with an XSLT transformation
for sorting:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#sorting
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#copying
and another to select the topmost N:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-Applying-Template-Rules
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath.html#function-position

You can get better help at XML/XSL specific mailing lists.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:27:19 -0400, Jason Smith <jsmith@tutorbuddy.com> wrote:
--
> I'm kind of new at this whole XML/XSP/XSL thing, so if this has a simple
> solution,
> please bear with me.
>
> Here's the situation: I have a search engine that passes out search results
> as XML
> to anything that can make a HTTP request to it. When it returns the results,
> it looks
> something like this:
>
> <searchresults>
> 	<result>
> 		<name>Result 1</name>
> 		<description>This is result 1</description>
> 		<href>http://here.com/index.html</href>
> 		<score>2.3</score>
> 	</result>
>
> 	<result>
> 		<name>Result 2</name>
> 		<description>This is another result</description>
> 		<href>http://there.com/index.html</href>
> 		<score>1.2</score>
> 	</result>
>
> 	etc.
> </searchresults>
>

> The <result> elements can be repeated infinitely depending on how many
> search
> results the engine finds that match search query. <score> is the search
> result's
> ranking against the search query; the rest of the elements in <result> are
> self-explanatory.
>
> The search engine returns ALL matches at once in one big XML file. There
> could be a dozen search results, 100, or 1.
>
> How would one go about limiting those results in Cocoon? Say I get 100
> results,
> but I only want to display the top 10 results by score. I'm assuming XSP
> is the answer, but I've been going nuts trying to get this stuff to work.
> I have O'Reilly's "Java and XML" on back-order, so hopefully that can clear
> up my confusion, but until then, anybody got any ideas or some direction
> for me?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Sergio Carvalho
sergio.carvalho@acm.org