cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Schneider <Daniel.Schnei...@tecfa.unige.ch>
Subject Re: Rant (was: Re: Style-free XSLT Style Sheets samples code)
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:28:52 GMT
Uli Mayring wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, William Bagby wrote:
>
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that IE is not
> > HTTP-compliant?
>
> Exactly. We as Cocooners see that, for example, in the infamous IE/PDF bug
> (see FAQ). It happens, because IE ignores parts of the HTTP standards in
> favor of a self-invented technique, that (according to MS) works better
> for Windows users. They are perverting the Internet to protect their
> platform.

You don't need Cocoon to see this. Simply try to show source code of some
page on the web. If I have a file like show.text, my server sends it
as text/plain .... and Krosoft IE instead of just displaying it, makes a
guess at it's contents and displays as html, xml or whatever it can figure out.
For teaching purposes I frequently do the following:
 ln -s file.hml file.text
 ln -s file.xml file.text
 ln -s file.vrml .....
..... and IE users can't see the *.text as intended. This is one very simple
reason why I really do not recommend IE in any educational environment.

> > Could you please recommend browser(s) to use, or at least tell us which one
> > you use?

I think that one can quite recommend Mozilla 0.9.1 now. EXCEPT that
you can't see sites that use OLD style DHTML programmed like "if IE
5.x then .... else if Netscape then use layers". This Mozilla release
runs MUCH faster than Netscape 6, minus lots of bugs. I'd say it's
almost good enough to be deployed at large scale.  Mozilla 0.9.2
certainly should be.  BUT I admit that I don't read a lot of badly
made commercial DHTML packed sites that are "optimized" for IE. So
IMHO the question now is to know if sites will adapt to NS6/Mozilla
(just make their code standards compliant).

Judge yourself:

http://www.mozilla.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

You can also try Netscape 6.1 beta released on June 13
http://home.netscape.com/browsers/6/index61pr.html?cp=dowpod61pr

- Daniel

PS: I installed Tomcat 4 / Cocoon 2b1 (binaries) and I was amazed
how well it went. Short installation notes:
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-2.xml
(sorry this is client-side xml with css, need mozilla or IE 5.5)

... now integrating this into apache maybe more difficult I guess ;)

--
Dr Daniel K.Schneider, TECFA (Educational Technologies and Learning)
Faculte de Psychologie et des Sciences de l'Education, University of Geneva,

TECFA - FPSE - Université de Genève
40, Bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1205 Genève
Tel: 41 22 705 9377 - Fax: 41 22 705 9379 - Office#: 6359