cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with Xvfb
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:48:46 GMT
"Wesselmann, Marcus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Xvfb to get the SVG features. It's now running on :0.0
> 800x600x8
>
> But I still get an error message in the cocoon.log, that it's not possible
> to connect to :0.0.
>
> Did I forget something ???

I am not a unix expert, but I have found that the root user sometimes will
have dificulty instantiating an X based program esp. if 'su'd as another user.
Consult your X documentation for a valid setting for the DISPLAY environment
variable.

Also, the bit depth of your Xvfb has serious consequenses with generated
graphics.  You are in essence limiting your image to the color pallette of
your Xvfb environment, and 256 color images don't look as nicely as 16 bit
or 24 bit images.  The exception to that rule is when you start with a
higher bit depth, and select the colors you need (i.e. downsampling to a
GIF image).