cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: A Cocoon2 Menu / Navigation System
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 22:51:32 GMT
On Fri, 11 May 2001, flourish wrote:

>     I beleive one of the central goals of the cocoon project is to find a
> way to seperate content, logic, and formatting.  Ofcourse, if you have these
> elements completly seperated from one another, something's got to pull them
> all together.

Ok, so you say: put your content in XML files, your formatting in XSL
files and your logic in the sitemap (or flowmap or linkmap or XSP
taglibs...). Then write an application that pulls all of it together - or
use Cocoon2, which does just that.

Well, XML and XSL files are all fine and well. These are standards. The
map files and XSP taglibs are proprietary concepts. However, XSP taglibs
have a standard XML interface with namespaces and it is possible to
implement their functionality on a different platform (see axkit).

This is not possible with the map files, because they are too specific to
Cocoon and a Web context. XSP taglibs just stand for "some type of logic,
to be implemented by the developer".

I don't think it's elegant to distribute the logic of an application into
so many places. Cocoon1 is not perfect either, as Donald Ball noted, but
Cocoon2 is in this respect a step back instead of forward.

At first I was thrilled when I heard about Cocoon2, like everybody
probably, but now I am not so sure anymore how it will play out in the
long run. Perhaps it's overengineered?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring