cocoon-users mailing list archives

From paint...@mc.duke.edu
Subject Re: AW: [C1.8.2] Performance of <xsl:apply-templates/> at root level
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 15:36:25 GMT

Hm.  I wonder what the cause is.  I'm assuming it has something to do with
elements at the root level that are not XML nodes, such as comments, PI's,
etc.  The <xsl:apply-templates select="*"/> will only try to process nodes,
I think.

-Christopher

Please respond to cocoon-users@xml.apache.org

To:   <cocoon-users@xml.apache.org>
cc:

Subject:  AW: [C1.8.2] Performance of <xsl:apply-templates/> at root level

Last night I testet it with my stylesheets (nearly the same) - well, I did
not recognize a difference...

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: paint007@mc.duke.edu [mailto:paint007@mc.duke.edu]
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Mai 2001 22:59
An: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org

All,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and if there is a
simple explanation.  If I include a simple template to copy stuff, such as
is found in most logicsheets:
<xsl:template match="@*|node()" priority="-1">
 <xsl:copy>
 </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

and then have something like the following:
<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

I get terrible performance (it takes minutes to return).  If instead, I do:
<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="*"/>
</xsl:template>

then performance is fine (subsecond).

This only seems to happen for root template matches, and the only
difference
is using 'select="*"' in the apply-templates.

Is this a Xalan issue?  I tried to search the Xalan mailing list archives,
but there doesn't appear to be a working link to them.

-Christopher