cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mikael Ståldal <mikael.stal...@home.se>
Subject Presenting a Cocoon challenger: Lagoon
Date Sat, 19 May 2001 09:38:32 GMT
About a year ago, I made my master's project in computer science about
Presenting XML documents on different media with stylesheets. After a
while, I realized that an important issue was handling of performance
problems when doing heavy XML processing (such as XSLT transforming) in a
web server.

I soon realized that caching was nessesary to handle the performance problem.

I began testing Cocoon 1.7.3 (the current version then) to see how it
handled caching. I also wrote a prototype (called "XotW") for an
alternative caching strategy, offline content generation. I made some
tests, and concluded that XotW in some cases gave better performance than
Cocoon 1.7.3.

The project was finished in September, and the entrie master's thesis can
be read at http://www.staldal.nu/mikael/exjobb/. You should find sections
3.3, 3.4 and chapter 5 interesting.

After the project, I continued working on the XotW prototype, and it has
now envolved into Lagoon. Lagoon is an open source project (BSD license)
hosted at SourceForge, and I consider it Beta quality. Have a look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lagoon/.