cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: it is a mad thing!!C2 is sloooooo!!!!!!
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 13:03:00 GMT
> Marco Spinetti wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> it is a mad thing! I have always read that Cocoon2 (based on the Sax model) should be
much faster than Coccon 1.8 and today have
> found out that it is almost three times more slow.
> My application has a middle complexity. It executes an interrogation to a Oracle database
(Esql), executes some calculations with
> the results and applies one Stylesheet for the rendering in Html. My system is constituted
by Apache 1.3.19, Tomcat 3.2.1 and
> Cocoon2. My machine has 550 Mhz cpu and 256 M RAM.
> I have found out that the same application, with the same server and Servlet Engine,
has a time of execution of 1.5 second for
> request with Cocoon 1.8 and 5 second with Cocoon2 !!!!!!
> The time of execution of Cocoon 1.8  could be reduced up to 0,8 second with the Saxon.
> With these perfomances Cocoon2 is not usable in a production environment: it is too slow.
I hope that you will tell me that I have
> wrung and that I have forgotten about writing something in the Cocoon2 configuration.
> Tell me something.

Question:  Are you using Netscape Navigator on the same maching to browse your page?
If so, make sure that it is running at a lower priority than Tomcat.  Netscape 4.x
rendering engine is so screwed, that it takes over the computer, and Tomcat is starved
for cycles.

Something is terribly wrong if you are experiencing slower times with C2 rather than
C1.  Is your DB connection setting right?  Are you using connection pooling, or creating
a new connection for every request?  Oracle has been known to be slow making connections.
How big is the resulting page?  What OS are you using?

There are lots of questions that would help us figure out why you aren't impressed with
C2.  It is disturbing that it would be slow for you, and so fast for me.