cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon in native C?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 15:13:35 GMT
Echoes wrote:

>   I never said that cocoon was bad and that java was bad. I use booth.
> But i'll be glad to se the come back of C in this kind of application
> (nobody's perfect). When it comes to interoperability, i don't really
> understand your remark. Are you talking about libraries, or about data ?
> If about libraries, i'm quite ok, but not about data. For data, you
> just have to transmit it as XML ;-)

First you take your sourcecode from platform A to platform B and it
won't compile. If it compiles, it may not run. In Java it's clear which
library to use for what and for most imaginable tasks out there, you can
find a library for free. There's just so much more stuff available for
Java and you can download it and be sure it'll compile and work.

In C you don't really know what to do. Need a GUI? Well, we could take
QT or perhaps we take GNOME... well, both may not run on Windows, hmm...
there's this cool portable UI toolkit, we should use that. Unfortunately
none of our users have it, so we have to distribute it with our app.
Hmm... how come we get so many nasty support calls from our customers?
Don't they know they should call the manufacturer of that UI toolkit?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung