cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Echoes <ech...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Cocoon in native C?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 14:20:07 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The "simultaneous" users were 20 hitting the server every 100ms.
> Currently, I don't have the facilities to test beyond this--separate
> machines, etc.

 Yep. I understand your testing problems, but 20 users is not a great
deal. So please don't just speak in hits/day; the real mark is data
troughput in Mbytes/s and how many users can comfortably use your
service simultaneously.

> I am aware that Xalan C is not the only XSLT game in town--but one
> thing that Java affords us over C/C++ is the ability easily plug
> and play transformation engines due to JAXP 1.1.  There is no
> equivalent (that I am aware of) for C/C++ XSLT/Parser engines.
> Love it or Hate it, Java is here to stay for the duration.

 What is the percentage of coccon users that use something else
than xalan for XSLT ? I guess it's a low number, even if XT or
Saxon happen to do a better job (speed wise at least).

> BTW:
> You can pool Tomcat instances (load balancing accross multiple VMs
> on one machine) with Apache at the helm.  In fact, you can load
> balance multiple physical servers with Apache httpd, each with
> multiple Tomcat instances running in their own VM, and session
> management is maintained by that infrastucture.  This bypasses the
> problems of multiple simultaneous users.

 I'll be curious to see how many MBytes/user are consumed by such
a set up. I know hardware is cheap, but is really so good way to
go. People tend no to care coding and configuring carefully (aka
tuning) their software, just putting in more RAM and M(G)Hz...

> Let's face it, in order to leverage _all_ the benefits of _all_
> the standards that Java affords us (JDBC, EJB, JMS, JavaMail, etc),
> there would be an incredible number of adapters to give Cocoon-C
> users a standard interface to develop against.  Then there is the
> problem of XSP--compiled serverpages that are compiled at runtime.

 JDBC : SQLRelay
 EJB : shared libraries
 JMS : Jabber ?
 javaMail : sendmail & al

 Puting all these beasts together is the hard work. But software
worked before java came in...

> There are a number of factors that go into this, and overall,
> Java has the best environment if for no other reason than the
> standards that all developers can take advantage of.

 This is a good point : use what you a confortable with.
 And be happy !!

	Eugène