cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Hargreaves ...@hargre.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 is so sloooooooow (slower than C1)
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 15:14:07 GMT
I too have a complex page to process - mine is a spreadsheet which
totals horizontally and counts vertically.

My first solution was using Java and the DOM in a Cocoon1 producer - it
took 5 seconds to execute. If I double the size it takes about half as
long again.

My second solution used a couple of stages of xslt under Cocoon1 - it
will only work as a very small spreadsheet. If I double the size it
takes about ten times longer!!! If I double it again it never comes back
(not while I'm waiting).

When I tried my second solution under Cocoon2 it comes back in about 10
seconds. However, if I double the size it takes about 25% longer. I can
keep doubling it until its is massive and it still comes back in a
reasonable time. Amazing!!! Interestingly, my browser starts to receive
the data well before the processing has finished!

My particular problem will solve in a serial fashion. In other words the
calculation never needs to make a backward reference. However I do use
some symbols which have to be looked up in a section at the beginning -
i.e. backward references. I wasn't expecting an improvement under
Cocoon2 because of this backward referencing.

I also have found the IE5.x is much faster than Netscape 4.x or 6.x

Regards,
Pete Hargreaves.