cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Peter Hargreaves ...@hargre.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Merging Static Source Documents
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 14:52:10 GMT
My reasoning is this. My website has a structure which has to be
navigated by the user. This file structure is a collection of xspages.
But why not store that site structure as xml instead of as a file
structure? So, I find myself wanting to put all my xspages into one big
xml structure.

This is beginning to work very well. When I request a page using a path
into my static structure. Some logic (currently xslt) extracts the page
from the structure. But also, very importantly, extracts all the choices
from each node in that path. Those choices form a sort of xml wrapper
around my requested page. I then just simply present this wrapper of
choices as my site navigation system. It gives me a very powerful and
versatile menu/navigation system with minimal overhead.

I am worried that I'm missing out on some brilliant alternative. Your
templates built from dynamic content sound very interesting. Maybe I can
use them to prototype my pages before I put them into my static xml/xsp
structure.

There is another reason I like to put all my static content into one
structure. I can put it into an xml database and treat it as dynamic
content for my administrative web site! In other words my admin web site
will edit the static content of my initial web site. This of course
means that my admin website will need its own structure of static
pages!! So, the possibility emerges for an operational levelled
structure for managing content!!!

Any comments on the above approach would be appreciated.

If you are extracting your xspages from your dynamic data, surely all
you get out is an empty framework in which to add your static content.
Is this the case?

I've worked round the document() functions weaknesses quite successfully
at last. You are probably right - it should be done in an xsp tag. I've
tried the utils:import tag but no joy yet!

Regards,
Peter