cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] esql and Oracle, help please
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 13:32:54 GMT
Steve Muench wrote:

> | 2) Make sure that the "user" user has a table named "table".  Oracle
> |    has an annoying habit of altering the set of tables visible to
> |    you based on the user logged in.
>
> Hopefully this was meant as tongue-in-cheek...
>
> This "annoying habit" is called database security.
> Users can only see what data/tables they are allowed to see. :-)

Yes it was tongue-in-cheek.  However it is semantically different
than most other databases I have used (From M$ to Informix) where
you have one server hosting a number of databases.  Your connection
is denied when you are not allowed to connect to the database.

Oracle seems a bit backwards: you have one Database with a schema
for each user.  I know there are aliases, and other ways of dealing
with this to make it transparent, but it doesn't make it easy to
have one user account and make it appear like you are connecting
to different databases like the other ones I have used.

It took some time to get used to that way of doing things.  That
asside, I do respect Oracle, and it did not gain it's position
in the market unfounded.