cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2: Sitemaps and DTD's
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 12:57:21 GMT
> Mark Owens wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Using C2/Tomcat4/Xalan_2_0_1/Xerces_1_3_1/Linux. (The mail archives are currently down)
> I'm not sure if this is a nonsense question but is there any way I can get a dtd location
mapped via the sitemap?

> I'm comitting files created under Windows (using XMetaL) to CVS on my Server. From there,
they are loaded into my Tomcat/cocoon
> webapp space.
>
> Trouble is, the dtd locations on Windows don't work under Cocoon - e.g. they use full
paths to dtd's. Also, can't simply strip out
> the DOCTYPE line as the DTD also declares entities.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to leave the XML files alone and map the dtd file via Cocoon.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice on how this issue could be resolved.

Yes you can.  There are two issues however:

1) you need to specify the location of the DTD as http://server/file.dtd
   which means that Xerces will open a socket to find it (very heavy).
2) Validation is expensive.  It will affect the performance of Cocoon.

You would map the dtd like this in the sitemap:

<map:match pattern="*.dtd">
  <!-- If DTDs have a unique mime type, then substitute that -->
  <map:read type="file" src="{1}.dtd" mime-type="text/plain"/>
</map:match>

In this manner, You should be able to tell XMetaL to point to the web server for the
DTD files.  XMetaL should populate the DOCTYPE declaration with the web server version.