cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Punte <stevep...@excite.com>
Subject What is Your Presentation Layer?
Date Sat, 26 May 2001 16:23:12 GMT
Dear Cocoon User Group:

  I've spent about the last six months building a
  large complex cocoon based dynamic web site.

  Yes, the separation of content, logic, and presentation
  is great.  However, the more I think about it, the hard
  it seems to define exactly should be in the presentation layer.

  Certainly, color scheme, font type, encapsulation
  of all HTML,  etc... is in the presentation layer.

  However, what about layout?  If one moves layout into
  the presentation layer, then many page specific
  templates (i.e. <xsl:template match="page-xxxx">)
  (or equivalent) are needed in the presentation layer.
  This doesn't seem right.

  On the other hand, if layout is specified in the logic
  layer, then this makes it more difficult to support
  a different display technology such as WAP, where
  pages need to be broken up into the finer granularity
  of cards.

  Hmm.

  So, "What is Your Presentation Layer?"

  Inquiring Minds Want To Know!