cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Fuerth <fue...@sqlpower.ca>
Subject Re: servlet workaround for PDF in IE
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 19:15:22 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:57:02AM -0700, Lucas Rockwell wrote:

> > > Can anyone forward me a copy of the workaround mentioned in the FAQ that
> > > copes with the problems with PDF files opening in IE?

> you might want to try adding
>
> <input type="hidden" name="dummy" value="myworkaround.pdf">
>
> right before the submit button.

Yeah.  Or better yet, as the last thing before </form>.  This is a
valid solution since the workaround is only needed for MSIE (which
'helpfully' ignores the MIME type coming back from the server if it
thinks it knows better).  MSIE always builds up the request parameters
in the URL in the order that the <input> elements appear in the HTML.

I think I have the information that the original poster wanted though:

You can use a Content-Disposition response header to make MSIE ignore
the "url filename extension."

will do pretty much the same as a Content-type of "application/pdf"
should do. You can achieve this in java code with:

response.setHeader("Content-Disposition", "inline; filename=thingy.pdf");

Or in XSP with the appropriate tag (whose usage currently escapes me).

Hope that helps.

Jonathan Fuerth