cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SÚrgio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: A Cocoon2 Menu / Navigation System
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 23:43:07 GMT
On Sat, 12 May 2001 00:51:32 +0200 (MET DST)
Uli Mayring <ulim@denic.de> wrote:

(...)

> Well, XML and XSL files are all fine and well. These are standards. The
> map files and XSP taglibs are proprietary concepts. However, XSP taglibs
> have a standard XML interface with namespaces and it is possible to
> implement their functionality on a different platform (see axkit).
>
> This is not possible with the map files, because they are too specific to
> Cocoon and a Web context. XSP taglibs just stand for "some type of logic,
> to be implemented by the developer".

I disagree. From what I've seen, sitemap sintax is somewhat coupled to the web domain, but
has few or no couplings to Cocoon. It is surely feasible to reimplement sitemap functionality
in other platforms, and I bet it is not a daunting task to reuse the sitemap in other scenarios
other than web apps, provided they are request-oriented.

> I don't think it's elegant to distribute the logic of an application into
> so many places. Cocoon1 is not perfect either, as Donald Ball noted, but
> Cocoon2 is in this respect a step back instead of forward.

Well, I've just ported one app I had written for C1 to C2, taking the time to refactor it
for C2's design. I must say C2 simplified app design greatly, and I am now much more comfortable
introducing the app to the maintenance team. In this particular case, C2 proved being one
solid step forward. Cheers to the Cocoon crew for pulling it off.

Sergio