cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Muench" <Steve.Mue...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [C2] esql and Oracle, help please
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 14:46:40 GMT
| > | 2) Make sure that the "user" user has a table named "table".  Oracle
| > |    has an annoying habit of altering the set of tables visible to
| > |    you based on the user logged in.
| >
| > Hopefully this was meant as tongue-in-cheek...
| >
| > This "annoying habit" is called database security.
| > Users can only see what data/tables they are allowed to see. :-)
|
| Yes it was tongue-in-cheek.  However it is semantically different
| than most other databases I have used (From M$ to Informix) where
| you have one server hosting a number of databases.  Your connection
| is denied when you are not allowed to connect to the database.
|
| Oracle seems a bit backwards: you have one Database with a schema
| for each user.  I know there are aliases, and other ways of dealing

Berin,

In Oracle9i, the notions of user and schema are separable
so perhaps there will be less of a conceptual discontinuity
for folks moving among several databases.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/