cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Kiesling <tobias.kiesl...@web.de>
Subject Looking for a page description language
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 09:02:50 GMT
Hi all,

I am a student and I need some help for a paper I am writing. I would like to
compare a system I developed with the help of cocoon (especially the
architecture of that system) to similar systems. But first let me explain the
system we developed:

In the scope of a university course we implemented a simple web information
system with the help of Cocoon. This surely is no production system, but
rather more academic. We tried very hard to have an extreme separation
between content, logic and style (this is what cocoon is about). This led to
the creation of an XML language that should represent the pages to be
returned to the client, before fetching data from the database and
transforming the document to the proper transformation medium (we used HTML
and WML).  The language was created as a more abstract view on a web page
that should be independant of the particular presentation media, but powerful
enough to model all possible items that could be present on a web page.
Additionally the language had to be independant of the underlying data model
(i.e. the structure of the data fetched from the database).
The language can be regarded as a kind of generic page description language
that could be used to model any kind of web page (of course this is an
unproofed claim!).

My question is, does anybody of you have developed a similar language for
similar purposes. I think that a variant of such a language is needed in
almost every system that uses cocoon, even the samples in the cocoon
distribution use such a page description language. What I am looking for is a
language that is generic enough to be used with every type of presentation
medium (HTML, WML, VoiceXML, Braille, etc.), but is independant of all those
media and additionally is independant of the data model of the data to be
presented in this page.

I have already been looking around for any trace of such a language, but I
didn't find any. If someone of you has developed a similar language, or knows
of it, please let me know.

I would really appreciate any help on this!

Thanks in advance,
  Tobias