cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Inclusion & portals in Cocoon
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:05:11 GMT
Hi,

check out http://sunshine.sundn.de for a portal solution built completely
around Cocoon2.

sunShine is a commercial offering we have built around C2 - adding
components for portal, authentication, configuration and more transformers
etc.

The portal is built up using it's own generator. The generator calls Cocoon
for each sunlet (one of those information blobs in the portal).

So - it can be done :-).

Let me know if you need more details.

Regards

Matthew Langham
Technical Director

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Benoit de Boursetty [mailto:debourse@young.enst.fr]
Gesendet: Montag, 9. April 2001 18:48
An: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Betreff: Inclusion & portals in Cocoon

Hi,

I'm beginning putting Cocoon to use in a toy intranet portal.

I have a question regarding the inclusion of several (statically or
dynamically) generated contents inside a single webpage.  My intent is to
have some sort of a portal site that includes independent modules.

i have included modules generated by cocoon in a "portal" by using
xinclude and addressing documents, which are themselves generated by
cocoon, through the webserver (http://localhost/documentname.xml)

obviously this won't yield maximum performance b/c the loopback goes
through the webserver, whereas it could be performed inside cocoon.

also, it raises security issues on a shared webserver since all
"temporary" documents which are meant for later inclusion will probably be
readable by other parties capable of firing http requests from localhost
to localhost on the server.  (cookie- or form-based authentication imposed
to outside requests would have to be lifted so that the process running
cocoon can access documents for inclusion)

so i was wondering if there was a direct, internal means of addressing
documents produced by cocoon in a loopback sort of way.  i've read about
the "cocoon:/" protocol in this mailing list, but unfortunately i couldn't
find sufficient information to use it.

also, i'm wondering whether the inclusion system will be able to detect
document change conditions efficiently.  what is the result of including
cocoon documents through http://localhost/ ?  when neither of the thus
included documents have changed according to cache semantics (i.e.
cache-points have not changed), will the total page be served from cache
in turn, or will the inclusions be performed again? what happens when you
address modules through the cocoon: protocol?

imho, this question is of crucial importance not only for content
aggregation, but also for those who wish to cache parts of pages that
change with different dynamics (e.g. a page with the date and time in the
top left corner doesn't need to be fully regenerated every minute...)

i understand that my question may have already been discussed.  in that
case, i hope someone will be so kind as to point me to relevant
documentation for that matter, or to a tool that will answer my needs more
specifically.

thanks in advance for your help

benoit

benoit.de-boursetty+cocoon@m4x.org