cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: esql Transitive closure (recursive queries) cocoon2
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:08:09 GMT
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Anjul Srivastava wrote:

> 1. Is there any elegant way to construct an XML document built from
> recursive queries using esql? (see example (5.))

not unbounded recursively, no.

> 2. Are there any plans to support such functionality in esql?

if you can suggest a good syntax for describing it, that'd be swell.

> 3. Is it possible to support such functionality in cocoon? I can't see
> any straightforward way. Ideally one would want to use the "template"
> mechanism of stylesheets to do the recursion for me.

you pretty much need to put the esql query into a java function that you
can invoke arbitrarily at request-time - but that's problematic, since you
don't really know what variables the author is going to reference inside
the function.

> 4. How about cocoon2? Does it alleviate this problem or make it more
> difficult?

it's essentially just a deficiency in the xsp language, i think. various
mechanisms have been suggested to work around it, but no one's ever forced
the issue. it's not a very common problem, but it does irk me.

- donald