cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: stability of 1.8.3-dev?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:15:57 GMT
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Peter C. Verhage wrote:

> << I'd be interested to hear any evidence whether anecdotal, or otherwise on
> the stability of 1.8.3 and/or the Saxon XSLT transformer. The performance
> increase with Saxon over Xalan is up to 15x better, so obviously I'd like to
> use it. >>
>
> Sorry, I've been away from the mailinglist for a while but if I read your
> comment right they are going to use Saxon in 1.8.3 instead of DOM?
>
> So this could mean taglibs (which use DOM XML fragments from Java beans)
> have to be rewritten to return Saxon XML fragments?

no - SAXON can operate in DOM mode. basically, as long as you haven't used
xalan-specific extensions and aren't relying on xalan improperly
processing bad XSLT (yes, there are a _few_ gotchas in xalan), you should
be good to go.

as for the stability and threadsafeness of SAXON and the c1 SAXON
transformer class - i can't say.

> And this would also mean, once you have created 1.8.3 compatible taglibs
> they probably also work with Cocoon 2 without any major modifications
> (because Cocoon 2 also uses SAX)?

as long as you don't rely on the xsp internal variables in your
logicsheets, there are no portability problems between c1 and c2 - just
some namespace uri changes.

- donald