cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: util:include + xsp problem
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:58:25 GMT
paint007@mc.duke.edu wrote:

> An example of what I'm doing is:
> One xml file creates a node that will be turned into an HTML form by the
> xsl.  The form allows a user to select a few values from drop down lists
> and click a button to submit.  The selected values provide parameters for a
> query that will be run in a second xml file.  The form action is actually a
> third xml file which does nothing but use XInclude to include the first two
> xml files.  The resulting XML has a node with the query options (from the
> first file) and a node with the results of the query (from the second
> file).  The user sees HTML with the results as well as the query form; they
> can submit a new query from the results page.
>
> The separation of the two xml makes it very easy to do this without
> resorting to conditional logic.  Also, since the query form portion is
> farily generic, I can re-use it to drive very different queries in other
> parts of the application.  Etc.  A lot of OOP instincts coming in to play
> here.

XSL (which is what XSP is built on) is not really OOP.  It is a template
language.  One method of approaching this, is to create templates for the
different actions that you are trying to work on.  What this means is that
you are creating your own LogicSheets.  In order for me to understand what
you are doing, and provide a decent approach, I am going to say what I
understand is going on:

/form.xml
/process.xsp
/aggregate.xml

So what you are trying to do is have a Form, process it, and navigate back
to the form (from the user's perspective).  This would be so much easier with
Cocoon 2's action infrastructure--but you can still do this without combining
the form and processor together.

Basically, the processor would end it's processing with the following code:

response.reset();
response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL("form.xml"));

That does the same affective thing from the user's perspective.