cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Martin Stricker <shu...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon MailingList vs. Newsgroups
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:43:05 GMT
Christian Parpart wrote:
> So, why isn't there any newsgroup handling all these messages.
> I think, that searching for entries in threaded views
> are better and you've more functions for handling such postings
> (e.g. mark or ignore some threads).

Any good Newsreader can provide you with a threaded view of your
folders, even Netscape. I don't know about the Outlook you're using, but
it's a bad mailer anyway... ;-))

> If there's no or won't come soon, how can I create my own or
> how could I do to get such a newsgroup?

Look at news:comp.text.xml (IIRC). I'm strongly against converting this
mailing list into a newsgroup! Reasons: I like to get these messages to
be delivered to me rather than collecting them myself. But my main
reason should apply for many subscribers of this list: At work I'm
behind a firewall (of course), and it allows only HTTP, HTTPS, FTP
transfers and mail (I redirect this private account to my work account
while in the office), no NNTP. So if this was a newsgroup I would have
to use deja.com to access it, and I really haven't that much time!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker