cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Schema-validated XSP? (was: Re: C1 <xsp:element> useless?)
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:15:46 GMT
On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 08:42:42PM -0500, Donald Ball wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> > Raises the question: why not take advantage of the XSP's XML syntax
> > and do schema validation at each point in an XSP's transition to Java
> > code? Eg, after each taglib is applied, validation could be done
> > against that taglib's schema.
>
> i'm not aware that there _is_ a schema validator package that conforms to
> the latest (final?) version of the schema spec.

I did a search a week ago, and found nothing except Henry Thompson's code.
Anyway, I doubt XML Schemas will ever be a huge success (unless w3c manages to
tie other specs to it). So why not look elsewhere.. in particular, James
Clark's TREX (http://www.thaiopensource.com/trex/) seems very simple and
intuitive, cunningly sidesteps data typing (which Cocoon wouldn't use), and has
a 150k Java implementation.

--Jeff